F033583 Introduction to Web Search and Mining
The World Wide Web (WWW) is the largest source of open-domain information today. The popularization of the web has revolutionized the way people search and retrieve information. This course presents the fundamental theory and practice behind web search engines and introduce some basic techniques to extract information and mine knowledge from the web, with an emphasis on text documents. After learning from this course, you should be able to understand the basic internals of a web search engine, and perhaps build a small search engine of yourself. On the other hand, you should get enough hands-on experience to write a crawler to extract data from the web and do various data analytics on the acquired data.
- Feb 26, 2019: Web page opens.
- Mar 1, 2019: Assignment 1 released. Wechat group established. Please refer to the slides for the QR code.
- Mar 10, 2019: Assignment 2 released. Please still submit hardcopies to me during class next Friday or to the TA's office. Please DON'T email!
- Mar 15, 2019: Assignment 3 released. Hardcopies are due next Friday. Please be reminded that all assignments and quizzes must be done completely in English or you will risk receiving zero marks!
- Mar 22, 2019: Assignment 4 released.
- Mar 30, 2019: Assignment 5 released.
- Apr 12, 2019: Assignment 6 released.
- Apr 18, 2019: Assignment 7 released.
- Apr 22, 2019: Project description is released here. Please form group of 2-4 pax and have the leader email firstname.lastname@example.org with your group members names and your two choices of topics ASAP and by this Friday.
- Apr 26, 2019: Assignment 8 released.
- May 5, 2019: Assignment 9 released.
Lectures: Fri 14:00-16:30, DZY 1-107
Instructor: Kenny Zhu
- SEIEE 03-407 Phone: 3420-4592
Office hours: by appointment via email or ask after class
Flora Huang and Kelsey Huang - SEIEE 03-341,
Email: email@example.com and
Office hours: Thursday 4-5 PM
- Introduction to Information Retrieval, Jul 7, 2008, by Christopher D. Manning and Prabhakar Raghavan
- Modern Information Retrieval: The Concepts and Technology behind Search (2nd Edition), by Ricardo Baeza-Yates, Berthier Ribeiro-Neto
- Mining the Web: Discovering Knowledge from Hypertext Data Hardcover - October 23, 2002, by Soumen Chakrabarti
- Web Information Retrieval (Data-Centric Systems and Applications), Aug 30, 2013, by Stefano Ceri and Alessandro Bozzon
- Web Data Mining: Exploring Hyperlinks, Contents, and Usage Data (Data-Centric Systems and Applications), Aug 6, 2013, by Bing Liu
- Quizzes: 30%
- Assignments: 30%
- Group Project: 40% Project Description Peer Review Form
||Introduction, Boolean Retrieval, Vocabulary||[pdf]
||IIR Ch. 1-2||
||IIR Ch. 3||Assignment 2 [tex] [pdf]
||Index Construction and Index Compression (I)||[pdf]
||IIR Ch. 4-5||Assignment 3 [tex]
||Index Compression (II), Scoring, Term Weighting and Vector Space Model||[pdf]
||IIR Ch. 5-6||Assignment 4 [tex] [pdf]
||Scoring and Complete Search System, Web Basics (I)||[pdf]
||IIR Ch. 19, 20||Assignment 5 [tex] [pdf]
||Web Basics (II)||[pdf]
||IIR Ch. 20||Assignment 6 [tex] [pdf]
||IIR Ch. 21||Assignment 7 [tex]
||IIR Ch. 8
||Assignment 8 [tex]
||Text Classification, Probabilistic Retrieval Model, Language Model||[pdf]
||IIR Ch. 10, 11, 12
Assignment 9 [tex] [pdf]
Copyright (c) Kenny Q. Zhu, 2016-2019.