F033583 Introduction to Web Search and Mining
The World Wide Web (WWW) is the largest source of open-domain information today. The popularization of the web has revolutionized the way people search and retrieve information. This course presents the fundamental theory and practice behind web search engines and introduce some basic techniques to extract information and mine knowledge from the web, with an emphasis on text documents. After learning from this course, you should be able to understand the basic internals of a web search engine, and perhaps build a small search engine of yourself. On the other hand, you should get enough hands-on experience to write a crawler to extract data from the web and do various data analytics on the acquired data.
- Feb 26, 2018: Web page opens.
- Mar 2, 2018: Assignment 1 will be released by this Sunday.
- Mar 4, 2018: Assignment 1 released, due Mar 9.
- Mar 10, 2018: Assignment 2 released, due Mar 16.
- Mar 18, 2018: Assignment 3 released, due Mar 23.
- Mar 24, 2018: Assignment 4 released, due Mar 30.
- Mar 30, 2018: Assignment 5 released, due Apr 8.
- Apr 8, 2018: Assignment 6 released, due Apr 15.
- Apr 9, 2018: The project description is released. Please see below!
- Apr 13, 2018: Assignment 7 released, due Apr 20.
Lectures: Fri 14:00-16:30,
Instructor: Kenny Zhu
- SEIEE 03-541 Phone: 3420-4592
Office hours: by appointment via email or ask after class
Jessie Luo - SEIEE 03-341,
Office hours: Thursday 4-5 PM
- Introduction to Information Retrieval, Jul 7, 2008, by Christopher D. Manning and Prabhakar Raghavan
- Modern Information Retrieval: The Concepts and Technology behind Search (2nd Edition), by Ricardo Baeza-Yates, Berthier Ribeiro-Neto
- Mining the Web: Discovering Knowledge from Hypertext Data Hardcover - October 23, 2002, by Soumen Chakrabarti
- Web Information Retrieval (Data-Centric Systems and Applications), Aug 30, 2013, by Stefano Ceri and Alessandro Bozzon
- Web Data Mining: Exploring Hyperlinks, Contents, and Usage Data (Data-Centric Systems and Applications), Aug 6, 2013, by Bing Liu
- Quizzes: 30%
- Assignments: 30%
- Group Project: 40% Project description
Peer Review Form
||Introduction, Boolean Retrieval, Vocabulary||[pdf]
||IIR Ch. 1-2||Assignment 1[tex] [pdf]
||IIR Ch. 3||Assignment 2 [tex] [pdf]
||Index Construction and Index Compression (I)||[pdf]
||IIR Ch. 4-5||Assignment 3 [tex]
||Index Compression (II), Scoring, Term Weighting and Vector Space Model||[pdf]
||IIR Ch. 5-6||Assignment 4 [tex] [pdf]
||Scoring and Complete Search System, Web Basics (I)||[pdf]
||IIR Ch. 19, 20||Assignment 5 [tex] [pdf]
||Web Basics (II)||[pdf]
||IIR Ch. 20||Assignment 6 [tex] [pdf]
||IIR Ch. 21||Assignment 7 [tex] [pdf]
Copyright (c) Kenny Q. Zhu, 2016-2017.