SE305 Database System Technology
This course is a first course in database systems for undergraduates at SJTU/CS. It covers the fundamantal concepts of modern database management including
database design, database languages and database system implementation.
It assumes only familiarity with basic data
structures, computer organization and a high level programming language such
as Java or C. The concepts and algorithm presented in this course are based
on commercial or experimental database systems. The idea is not to tie
these concepts to a particular database system but to present it in a general
setting. Most of the assignments and projects are done using Java/C and the
open source MySQL which is widely available. Topics covered in this course
include: relational databases, database design,
data storage and querying processing, transactions, system architecture,
data mining and information retrieval, and optionally, XML and a case study on
a particular database system.
- 2017/09/10: The course website reopens!
- 2017/09/14: Assignment released, due 9/19.
- 2017/09/15: There was some mistakes in the assignment 1 released yesterday. Please re-download now. The error has been corrected.
- 2017/09/17: A small update on assignment 1. Please check it out. Sorry
for the inconvenience.
- 2017/09/21: Assignment 2 released.
- 2017/09/28: Assignment 3 released, due Oct 10, 2017.
- 2017/10/10: Please form groups of 3-4 pax and send email to Yizhu about your group members and their contact. Please elect one leader for each group who will coordinate with Yizhu about the project matters.
- 2017/10/11: Exam is tentatively set on Tuesday, Nov 7, 2017, at 1:10 PM- 2:40 PM.
- 2017/10/12: Assignment 4 released.
- 2017/10/17: Project description is here. Please submit your two choices of project (can be your own topic) by Monday, Oct 23.
- 2017/10/19: Assignment 5 released.
- 2017/10/23: There was an update on the project description. Please check out the link below.
- 2017/10/26: Assignment 6 released.
Lectures: Tue 10 - 11:40 and Thu 14:00-15:40,
Dong Zhong Yuan, Room 1-109
Instructor: Kenny Zhu
- SEIEE 03-541 Phone: 3420-4592
Office hours: by appointment via email or ask after class
Yizhu Liu - SEIEE 03-341, Phone: 182 2141 8016
Office hours: Friday 4 PM
Textbooks: Database System Concepts (5th ed.) By Abraham Silberschatz, Henry F. Korth and S. Sudarshan. (Available at the University Textbook Center).
- Database Systems: The Complete Book (2nd Edition) by Hector Garcia-Molina, Jeffrey D. Ullman and Jennifer Widom(Jun 15, 2008).
- Advanced Database Systems (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Data Management Systems) by Carlo Zaniolo, Stefano Ceri, Christos Faloutsos and Richard T. Snodgrass(May 15, 1997).
- Data Mining: Concepts and Techniques, Third Edition (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Data Management Systems) by Jiawei Han, Micheline Kamber and Jian Pei(Jul 6, 2011).
Reference Manual for MySQL 5.7.
Peer Review Form: Click here.
- Quizzes and Assignments: 40%
- Lab Projects: 30%
(Project Description here)
- Final Exam: 30%
||Introduction to Databases||[pdf]
||Extended Relational Algebra and Introduction to SQL (I)||[pdf]
||Introduction to SQL (II)||[pdf]
||Introduction to SQL (III)||[pdf]
||E-R Model (I)||[pdf]
||E-R Model (II)||[pdf]
||Relational Database Design (I) ||[pdf] ||Textbook Ch.6
||Relational Database Design (II) ||[pdf] ||Textbook Ch.6
||Storage and File Structure||[pdf] ||Textbook Ch.11
||Indexing||[pdf] ||Textbook Ch.12
||Indexing (II), Query Processing||[pdf] ||Textbook Ch.12
||Query Processing and Optimization||[pdf] ||Textbook Ch.12
||Transactions||[pdf] ||Textbook Ch.15
Copyright (c) Kenny Q. Zhu, 2013-2017.